Fund Development Manager
PHS is seeking a Fund Development Manager to build on our strategic approach to fundraising, plan and execute fundraising campaigns, and be the first point of contact for funders and donors. The Fund Development Manager reports directly to the CEO and is responsible for meeting financial goals and developing and maintaining relationships with donors and supporters.
Why work here?
PHS Community Services Society is recognized as a North American leader in low barrier housing and harm reduction. We provide supportive housing, shelter, programs and clinical services for marginalized communities. Our services are located in Vancouver and Victoria and include Insite, Canada’s first legal supervised injection facility, supported recovery programs and the provision of safe supply to address the drug poisoning crises.
We are innovators, highly regarded across the sector, looking for people to join experienced, supportive multi-disciplinary teams.
You will be a valued member of the team, working with colleagues who respect your input.
PHS is located in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, in easy walking distance of Downtown, Chinatown, Gastown and the Seawall. There are good transit links – we’re a couple of blocks from the Stadium-Chinatown SkyTrain station.
Job duties include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborate with the CEO to create a fund development plan which increases revenue to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Lead the development of the annual giving program and targeted yearly fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and successfully execute strategic plan for donor solicitations.
- Prospect research to identify and evaluate potential funders; including corporate giving.
- Cultivate major gift donors.
- Participate in Board committee and senior management meetings to provide information, advice and guidance related to fundraising.
- Provide planning and update information to the Executive and the Board as needed.
- Submit grant applications and track reporting required for funders in conjunction with PHS project managers.
- Maintain and update confidential files as they relate to fundraising.
- Provide funding status and impact reports to private donors, foundations or funders.
- Represent PHS at fundraising and public awareness events and meets with supporters.
- Facilitate engagement and participation in third-party events.
- Research and implement any needed upgrades or updates to donation methods and systems.
- Oversee research of funding sources and current trends.
- Evaluate and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
- Oversee day-to-day activities, including receiving and responding to inquiries related to fundraising.
- Maintain the donor database.
Manage fund development budget
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development department.
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary.
Collaborate with communications department
- Develop and implement engagement and fundraising strategy.
- Create and evaluate marketing and communication activities to maximize opportunities for promoting PHS and build links with potential and existing funders.
- Direct the design of donor communication materials, including donor newsletter, campaign documents and thank-you cards.
- Update and maintain PHS website in respect of all donor and fundraising information.
- Co-develop external strategies for community impact stories and/or photos.
- Create social media posts for fundraising call-to-action (CTA’s), engagement and information for Facebook and Twitter.
Education and experience
- More than five years of professional experience in a non-profit organization.
- Proven track record of accomplishments in all aspects of fundraising including individual, corporate, planned giving, major gifts, and/or monthly giving.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications and fundraising software/databases (preferably Blackbaud CRM’s).
- An aptitude for social media platforms.
- Knowledge of WordPress or website management.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of CRA regulations.
- Proven success with donor prospecting, relations, stewardship and recognition.
- Able to maintain confidentiality; demonstrate sound judgment and discretion.
- Grant writing experience an asset.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals membership an asset.
- Candidate must undergo a criminal record check.
- Candidate must be eligible to work in Canada.
Terms of employment
The Fund Development Manager is an excluded, permanent full-time role (40 hrs/wk). Monday – Friday, with occasional evenings/weekends for events. This position is able to work remotely or may adopt a hybrid work model that combines remote work with office time based on team needs.
Salary: $65,000 – $85,000
PHS strives to create an inclusive and welcoming workplace that reflects the community we serve. We seek a diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds, and professional and lived experience in our staff. We particularly encourage applications from Indigenous individuals.
How to apply
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org today! Please include a cover letter identifying the position title you are applying for, and the qualities and competencies that would make you a suitable candidate. (It would really help if you let us know in the subject line that this is a Victoria vacancy you are applying for.)
[Back to Careers.]